This Master Course offers an original program in the highly innovative domain of nano-engineering. Skills will be acquired at the strongly interdisciplinary level needed to master emerging nano-technologies and to develop original concepts and applications aiming at novel engineering breakthroughs in many domains; biomedical nanotechnologies, nanomaterials or applications for environment.
The originality of our program is that it deepens the principles of chemistry and engineering with a special orientation in the field of nanotechnology and a strong address to the industrial reality. Another originality of our program is based on the extensively developed courses dealing with the numerical design and engineering applications of nano-systems. Our program is aimed at methodologies applied to nano-engineering, application-oriented and specifically focused on chemical synthesis and characterization. It aims at the methodology of bottom-up designing of nano-systems using modeling and chemical synthesis at the nano-scale.
Chemistry for nano-engineering is an innovative field of science and technology which is developing very fast. The 2016 Nobel Prize in Chemistry shows the importance of the research in this area. It has shown that engineering of the nano-machines is not any more a science-fiction; it is just a beginning of new engineering specialty where the nano-systems can be numerically designed and chemically synthesized. These new technologies will create a large demand for specialists in this field.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of nano-chemistry and nano-engineering
- Thorough knowledge of modelling and numerical simulation methods at multi-scale
- Ability to synthesize nano-objects by chemical ways, to characterise and model them, and apply nano-objects particularly in nano-machines, supramolecular assemblies and in medical nano-devices
- Capacity to manage and to use nanotechnologies to create new devices
- Capacity to promote and to develop scientific and technological innovation
- Possibility of making a critical analysis of scientific information
- Capacity of technical and economic evaluation of a project of innovation and research
- Aptitude to occupy leading positions in science and engineering
- Ability to integrate in a professional organisation and develop ethics and responsibility
- Capacity to work effectively in a team project
- Assure an interdisciplinary training in the field of nano-engineering, which includes a profound understanding of the chemistry and the methods of synthesis and characterization of nano-materials and nano-systems
- Give the students expertise in numerical modeling to predict the chemical and physical properties at the nano-scale
- Train the students to synthesize, characterise and model objects of the nano-world, in order to understand their properties, using disciplinary knowledge of fundamental sciences and transdisciplinary knowledge of nano-sciences
- Develop a creative experimental approach to prepare, characterise and model nano-objects (nanostructures, nanomaterials or nano-devices) with unknown properties, or resolve problems related to their identification/application/production
- Prepare the students for a career in the field of nanotechnology, by offering them a robust experience in this multidisciplinary domain of sciences and engineering
- Prepare the students to construct and realize individually or in a team all steps of a research and development project in the domain of nano-sciences et nanotechnologies, mobilising various pluridisciplinary parties
- Enable the students to conceive, prepare and use nano-objects in various professional contexts, integrating ethical environmental and societal challenges
- Train highly qualified and creative graduates for the labour market with a big capacity to adapt themselves and to find new solutions for technological development (problem solving)
- Educate a new generation of engineers who can participate in the creation of new high-technology companies